Monday, July 8, 2013

If you kiss enough rotten fish, I promise your lobster will emerge.

A friend once told me that I deserve the dating persistence award.  She is right.  If you've been keeping up with my blog, you have read the highlights and disasters of my dating life of the last year and a half.  I am happy to report that I have finally found a wonderful, fantastic man that is definitely worth the wait. 

Corey (yes, my best friend and boyfriend have the same name) came out of nowhere when I was so close to giving up on the whole dating scene.  I've had my fair share of bad dates and crappy men.  He has swooped in and changed all of that.

We started talking on a Monday and met five days later.  Our first date started with dinner.  For the first time in a long time, I had someone sitting across from me that was truly interested in me.  He asked questions about my life and listened intently to everything I had to say.  I will never forget when we hit upon the subject of my mom and sister passing away. I said, "Are you sure you want to hear this?"

"I want to know everything about you, everything that has lead you to be sitting across from me right now."  That just melted my heart.

Dinner was great, but we did not want to leave one another's company so we went to an ice cream shop for a sweet treat and sat for well over an hour talking.  I loved learning about his family and life.  It felt different with him.  This was a date like no other I had been on.  After this, we still didn't want to part so we decided to go to a movie.  The movie was good, but his company was so much better.

At the end of the night, he said he wanted to see me again, but I was scheduled to go out of town with my best friend.  So, we had to put it off for a couple of days, but we were in constant contact the entire time (ask Cori; she can attest to it).  When I got back from my trip, I immediately planned to see him that night.  He invited me over for dinner.  When I arrived, he toured me around his place before playing the guitar and serenading me.  No one had ever done anything like this for me.  Afterwards he made dinner and we watched a movie before parting ways.

Our constant communication continued, and we set our next date for the following Friday.  He was going to take me shopping and to lunch.  It was a great day, and I can tell you that at the end of that date, I knew he was the one.  From the first date, I knew he was special and had a feeling that I had found my man, and on date three, I knew for certain.  There has always been something different about our time together, and I wanted to spend every possible second with him.  I had not had that feeling in a long time.  The next day, we both deleted our dating profiles and have been nearly inseparable since.  There's not a day that goes by when we do not talk, text, or see each other.  He has the distinction of being my very last first date and very first fifth date.  I hate being away from him and wish we didn't have daily obligations that keep us busy, but absence does make the heart grow fonder.

As the days and weeks have passed, Corey has continued to show me just how wonderful he is.  He will randomly send a text or email to let me know he's thinking about me. When I was away on my cruise, I didn't have access to my phone, but he still sent me a message every day so that when I finally turned my phone back on, I had sweet messages awaiting me.  He wants to be a part of every aspect of my life.  My daughter already enjoys spending time with him.  The short time that our relationship has been growing has been amazing.

It may seem things are moving fast for us, but when you know, you know.  I have never once doubted or mistrusted him.  I am not worried that he will disappear on me one day, and I see a bright future with him.  He's even getting me to go to a UF game this season despite my adamant dislike of the Gators and the Swamp.

Corey, I know you're reading this right now, and I want you to know that I am so happy to have you in my life.  You've made me feel like the luckiest woman in the world.  This has been the best time of my life in a long time, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

XOXO,
Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment