Friday, June 14, 2013

Even nerds can be d****.

"Nerdy Johnny" (he called himself a nerd so I didn't feel bad about going along with his moniker) was a lot of fun.  From our first contact, he made me laugh.  His sense of humor was spot on, and if you can make me laugh on an hourly basis like he could, you will have my heart. I looked forward to his messages.  One night we decided to try taking our convo to Skype. What was supposed to be a quick call ended up going on for four hours.  We just couldn't stop talking and learning about one another. He told me about moving to Florida from New Jersey and how difficult it was being a nerd as a teenager. We shared some dating horror stories and talked about our ideal lazy weekend days with our future lobsters. It was the best conversation, and I looked forward to meeting him.

A few days later, I found myself driving southward to meet "Nerdy Johnny."  We met at a coffee shop in his town and talked over a cup of coffee.  Afterwards, we decided to head to his apartment to watch a movie.  When I got to his place, I really got introduced to his nerdiness.  He had a "nerd shelf" filled with memorabilia from various shows and movies he liked.  I got to see his costume for an upcoming comic book convention. He had his computer connected to his television, and he pulled up a movie for us to watch.  After sitting through Ted which was a mediocre at best, "Nerdy Johnny" pulled up YouTube and started showing me various channels and videos that he liked.  I laughed the whole time; in fact, when I got home, I started following the same channels and still check them out on YouTube on a regular basis.  We decided that the next time we hung out, he would teach me how to play "Left for Dead," a zombie hunting video game if I remember correctly. And then I went home, feeling happy and satisfied with our meeting.

The next week, I happened to have a day free, and he wanted to meet for dinner and a video gaming session. I was very excited. The morning of our date, I checked in to make sure all systems were go; he reported everything was good. So later that afternoon, I started my drive to meet him. I had barely gotten out of town when he texted me that there was some emergency at work, and he had to reschedule.  He immediately gave me an alternative date to meet. I was bummed to say the least. I headed home to spend the evening alone.

A few hours later, I decided to check up on him. Call me crazy, but I have trust issues; it's part of my baggage. He hadn't logged onto the dating site all day; this made me feel better. No Instagram or Facebook posts; again, another good sign. Last stop was Twitter. And there it was. He had checked into a fancy Japanese restaurant at 6 pm, the time we were supposed to meet. I was beyond angry; not that he didn't want to see me, I was angry that he lied.  I'd much rather to hear the truth even if it hurts than to get a pretty lie. Being a little tech savvy myself, I screenshot his check in and texted it to him; no words necessary. I have still never heard back from him. Although I really liked him, I'm grateful that I found out early on he was a liar and coward; it saved me a lot of heartache.

XOXO,
Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment