Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Once a jerk, always a jerk

My experience with this next guy was one of the most disappointing ones because he seemed to have the most potential.  When I first saw Carl's profile what I noticed is that there was someone I knew in the pictures.  He was a friend of a friend.  Talk about a small world. When he started messaging me, we seemed to click immediately, and it was interesting to talk about people we both knew.  Also, since he knew my friend, I was more comfortable about talking to him and meeting him.  He couldn't be a psycho if he was friends with my friends.  We would message each other for hours on end every evening, and he asked me to go out with him one weekend. However, I had my daughter and was not free to take him up on the offer.  He was quite obliging and said that we would have our date the following weekend when I was free.  Things seemed to be going well; I was excited to meet him.  Then, things changed.  We were having a conversation about our siblings.  I asked when his birthday was (truth be told, I was trying to find out his sign; a friend and I had been having fun looking at astrological matches that week).  He sent me a very weird message which included his birthday and something about that being a very long way away.  I thought perhaps I was reading too much into the tone I imagined him having.  But sure enough, I did not hear from him for days. This was the week before we were supposed to meet.  I messaged him, trying to figure out what the issue was.  It took a while for him to respond, but when he did, his message stung.  He said that he was afraid that were we to meet, I would get too attached, too quickly for him.  Who was he to make that kind of a judgment? And he must have a high opinion of himself to assume that I would react that way.  I was not happy with this response and told him goodbye.

A couple months down the road, I did something that was not my brightest idea.  I texted Carl again.  The way things ended was gnawing at me, and I wondered how he was.  I didn't expect him to respond, but to my surprise, he did.  We started talking again, and he seemed to be over that little issue of me getting attached to him too fast.  He asked me out once more and planned a fun date for us.  We met at a beach for lunch, enjoyed the sun for a few hours, went out for a delicious dinner, and a round of pool.  Until very, very recently, I counted that as the best date I had ever had.  We had a great time and were very comfortable around one another.  He was everything I imagined he would be; we parted ways with the agreement that we would go out again and keep in contact until then.

I was very excited, and the first few days following our date, everything went along fine.  We communicated on a daily basis; he responded to my messages and sent me messages as well.  Then, our communication started to dwindle, and I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.  Surely, he would not go MIA again.  Sure enough, he started ignoring messages.  At this time, he was in the middle of a new job and move, so I tried to chalk up the lack of communication to that.  But in my heart, I knew that was not the case.  I eventually got a response out of him.  He said that he had fun as well but was just so busy with everything and had no free time in the foreseeable future. I ended things with telling him that I would not be pulled in a third time; I had certainly learned my lesson with Carl which is if he's a jerk once, he'll be a jerk again.

XOXO,
Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment