Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What kind of sociopath does that?

Michael S. was a special kind of scary.  He and I were matched online and started communicating.  When we started texting and talking on the phone, he told me that he was a single father of a five-year old boy and that his wife died in a car accident three years prior.  He was just starting dating again because he was lonely and his son needed a female influence in his life.  His story pulled on my heartstrings. I could relate to losing someone important in your life.  We seemed to have a lot in common.  Then, one day, right before we had planned to meet, I received an email from the dating site.  It informed that Michael's account was deleted, and they discouraged further communication with him.  I was a bit freaked out; I questioned him about it and was told that he requested it be closed.  That just did not seem likely.  After this exchange, I did not get many more messages from him and did not attempt to contact him either.  That email was a sign, and I did not ignore that.  However, I was still so interested in what he had done or lied about that would result in getting his account deleted.  So, when he contacted me a few months later, I responded and we talked a bit again.  I asked about his son, and he told me about how much he missed his mom and such. For whatever reason, I was playing around with the Facebook app on my phone and I had it search for new Facebook friends from my contact list and a new person popped up.  I pulled that profile up on my computer.  The man in the photo sure looked like Michael, only older and heavier.  In his profile photo was a cute boy that looked to be about five.  I read the details that were public.  This man, whose name was not Michael, worked in the same field and lived in the same area as Michael.  I compared the photos that I had against the profile and showed them to my best friend.  We both agreed this definitely was Michael.  There was only one major difference besides the physical traits; this man was married. His wife was certainly alive and well.  When I read up on the dating site about why accounts get deleted, it said the most common reason was misrepresentation of age, gender, location, and/or martial status.  Now, up until this point, Michael had been texting all day for many days in a row.  I decided to try something crazy; I friend requested this Michael look-alike.  And guess what...I have never heard from Michael ever again.  I find that an odd coincidence that the day I find and friend request this person that is connected with Michael's phone number is the day he stops communication.  That can only mean that he was lying about a lot, the most shocking of which is that his wife is dead.  Seriously, what kind of person says his wife is dead? I am so glad that particular dating site is up on its security and shot up a red flag for me!

XOXO,
Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment