Saturday, June 15, 2013

He saves lives so he can't text.

I wish I could say that I only met a few jerks and douchebags in my dating adventure, but that would be a lie.  "Dr. Sleepy" is another one of these men. (A quick aside regarding his nickname: "Dr. Sleepy" did a lot of sleeping or so he claimed.  He would randomly disappear in the middle of a convo and come back twelve hours later to explain he had fallen asleep.  My best friend did not believe that after we learned more about him.) 

This man won me over easily.  We started conversing about week or so before Christmas. I learned a lot about him in a short time. He was a transplant to Florida from Illinois and was in med school, finishing up his residency.  I had never dated a doctor, but it was interesting. He would tell me about his cases and how he performed procedures.  "Dr. Sleepy" was so sweet and kind.  He would randomly send messages through out the day to say hi, and he always sent good morning and good night texts.  If you know me, you know how much I love to communicate, so I loved hearing from him so often.  We talked on the phone every day and seemed to click easily.

It was with much excitement that we met on Christmas night; how romantic, right? We talked for hours on end, and I enjoyed his company very much.  We continued to meet and go on dates, but the communication on his end was becoming very sporadic. Our dates were very few and far between.  He kept saying that his residency kept him busy, and he didn't have time to text or talk much.  The week prior to us meeting, he was on Christmas break and that level of communication was an anomaly. I discussed this with my best friend a lot.  Maybe I just wasn't cut out to date a doctor.  Maybe asking for at least one text message a day was too much to ask from him. He was busy saving lives on a daily basis after all.

I'll admit that I let my dealings with "Dr. Sleepy" go on much too long because he was one of the most attractive men I had ever met.  However, my eyes were open by two different events.  The first was Greg Behrendt, a comedian.  If you're a fan of "Sex and the City," you may remember an episode where the phrase, "He's just not that into you," is used.  Well, Greg is the man behind that phrase.  He later went on to write a dating book (which every single woman should read) with the same title.  The book was also turned into a pretty good movie.  While reading the book, I came across the following:
He's Just Not That Into You pg. 23

My doctor was full of crap.  I talked to him one last time.  He said that he just did not have the time to give me that attention I wanted and couldn't put in the effort necessary to have a relationship.  I thought this was the end of "Dr. Sleepy." Maybe a month or so later, my suspicions about his lies were confirmed.  The doctor started a new dating profile and was looking yet again. I was hurt and mad but also relieved that I had walked away before any real damage was done.   The funny ending to this story is that even a few weeks ago, he has contacted me. But I have not given into his advances; it feels good to be strong and not fall back into his charms.  Go peddle that line of BS somewhere else, Doctor!

XOXO,
Leia

No comments:

Post a Comment